Thunderbirds are go
Weehee! can there be anything more fun than getting an unexpected package in the post?
A package with Japanese mail posting all over it...big box, what can it be?
Turns out its the newly released Aoshima 1/350 scale Thunderbird 2, which I pre-ordered in November and promptly forgot all about.
I'm not going to get started on this one just yet with all the other work already going on, (see my last post,) but I thought I'd review the kit and contents for you.
The kit itself comes with a hell of a lot of content. The craft itself, the iconic, original 60's TV series transport, is represented in 1/350 scale - but what really attracted me to it was the addition of all of the rescue craft too (not just Thunderbird 4 as usual!)
Thunderbird 2 itself is moulded in translucent plastic, presumabley to account for all of the interior detail available on the kit. (more on that later). It does mean that the windows, usually a seperate moulding, are part of the fuselage. This will require some careful masking when I come to paint it that lustrous green.
This sprue contains the mole, plus a raft of interior detailing. The two cylinders on the bottom right are actually the jet engines, totally obscured by the fuselage if painted normally. The translucent plastic might give the opportunity to show these off, or the fuselage could be left with the ability to open.
There is also a full upper and lower deck interior for the nose, including the cockpit fans of the show will be very familiar with, and the lower level command areas and storage rooms that can be seen on cross section diagrams of the craft.

The decal sheets are clear, crisp and very very detailed. They include the standard pod numbers 1-6 for both pods, the numbering and name for the craft as well as a whole load of interior details such as cockpit dash, locking clamps, lights and other bits. All of the rescue craft also have "international rescue" identifiers and tiny details such as headlamps etc.
The instruction booklet is well presented on a large, A3 pullout. It also features english instructions alongside the Japanese, which I've found to be unusual - and are clear, detailed insrtructions on how to put together all the sub kits and the main kit.
All in all this is a fantastic kit on first inspection. Whilst I'm not going to be wading into it just yet, I'm really looking forward to tackling some of the smaller kits first - and will be investing in a new airbrush to take on that large, green fuselage which ne eds a smooth, clean finish.
Thunderbird 2 is available now at Hobby Link Japan - https://hlj.com/product/AOS05502 for ¥2,240
$20.80 USD; €17.33 (around £20 after delivery costs)
A package with Japanese mail posting all over it...big box, what can it be?
Turns out its the newly released Aoshima 1/350 scale Thunderbird 2, which I pre-ordered in November and promptly forgot all about.
I'm not going to get started on this one just yet with all the other work already going on, (see my last post,) but I thought I'd review the kit and contents for you.
![]() |
| Shrink wrapped magic |
The kit itself comes with a hell of a lot of content. The craft itself, the iconic, original 60's TV series transport, is represented in 1/350 scale - but what really attracted me to it was the addition of all of the rescue craft too (not just Thunderbird 4 as usual!)
The kit is typical for most Japanese kits in its detail, presented on separate, neat sprues colour coded all in tight wrapped cellophane and with three sets of decals.
What I didn't realise when I purchases this on hobbylink was that the kit comes with parts enough for two pods - allowing for two different numbers pods (potentially with different kit outs, I've not investigated if there are parts for the submarine launch)
![]() |
| Thunderbird 2 measures around 10" from nose to afterburners |
![]() |
| The pods themselves even come with interior details like the command centre, railings and a detailed ramp. |
![]() |
| Heavy metal |
This sprue contains the mole, plus a raft of interior detailing. The two cylinders on the bottom right are actually the jet engines, totally obscured by the fuselage if painted normally. The translucent plastic might give the opportunity to show these off, or the fuselage could be left with the ability to open.
There is also a full upper and lower deck interior for the nose, including the cockpit fans of the show will be very familiar with, and the lower level command areas and storage rooms that can be seen on cross section diagrams of the craft.

The decal sheets are clear, crisp and very very detailed. They include the standard pod numbers 1-6 for both pods, the numbering and name for the craft as well as a whole load of interior details such as cockpit dash, locking clamps, lights and other bits. All of the rescue craft also have "international rescue" identifiers and tiny details such as headlamps etc.
The instruction booklet is well presented on a large, A3 pullout. It also features english instructions alongside the Japanese, which I've found to be unusual - and are clear, detailed insrtructions on how to put together all the sub kits and the main kit.
All in all this is a fantastic kit on first inspection. Whilst I'm not going to be wading into it just yet, I'm really looking forward to tackling some of the smaller kits first - and will be investing in a new airbrush to take on that large, green fuselage which ne eds a smooth, clean finish.
Thunderbird 2 is available now at Hobby Link Japan - https://hlj.com/product/AOS05502 for ¥2,240
$20.80 USD; €17.33 (around £20 after delivery costs)
















Comments
Post a Comment