Prime primaris primed
I finished (finally) my first squad of Primaris marines! I thought I'd share them, and some of my views on them.
I've got shedloads of tactical marines. I mean, half a company. They're not all well painted but there's some real characters in there I've come to love.
That's why when the new primaris marines came out, I couldn't see much value in adding the Intercessor, bolt rifle armed varient to my 7th company. I love plasma weapons and in days gone by, (recently re-invested in by GW) Dark Angels were particularly fond of them too, so I went for helblasters.
This unit is horrible on the field. I bought them for looks and background but my first playtest had them decimate a Dreadnaught in a turn of shooting. They are equally happy slugging it out with short range heavily armoured elite troops, ormedium to long range with support troops like themselves. Those incinerators are multi damage, high ap weapons that you could even boost with a dark angels strategm.
I field most squads as combat squads and two squads of five of these guys was great. I'll have to see how they fare in future games.
With the above unit setup in mind, I always model and paint one marine as a squad leader. These guys have dropped out of codex mentions but used to fill the role of deputy dog to the sergeant. He leads one combat squad, the others got the Serg.
Here's mine for squad Daviel, named Castus. I like to add details. If he's not wearing a helmet, it should be maglocked to his thigh. He has a small icon to denote his rank, but not a full banner. I love the new sidearm so that gave some pose variation along with the plasma incinerator under his arm. The bionic eye suggests the indomitus crusade took its toll on one of the first Ultima founding marines to step onto Aldarukh.
So that leaves the squad in the capable hands of Daviel. Already a veteran sergeant, he's not yet part of the inner circle, none are, but he's seen some shit. I swapped out his head for a blood angels one for some more variation, have him a back banner and tilt shield, pointing the squad at a target.
Aside from the regular dudes aiming, firing, moving, I wanted to add another individual in there. Nuriel's power pack has malfunctioned, with a blinking red light on the back instead of the green on the others. He's disconnected it from his rifle and prepares to overload it and throw it towards the enemy.
So, some personality in there. I like to do this on all my sqauds, promote guys when I get the chance with some story, unique modelling and painting.
I know that there's been alot of criticism of the primaris range from old school vets of the hobby. I think no one wants to see the "old" Astartes replaced in the range and that the universe revolves around stagnant, non progressive attitudes and that these guys represent the opposite of that.
Background wise they've kind of been magicked in, but with more and more back story being brought in, particularly on how the chapters react to their presence, I like them more and more. The new ranks, roles etc and how they are wrapped into the dark angels chapter were really interesting.
Model wise, they're the best thing that's come out of the range since Jes Goodwin's new tactical squad sprues in the late 90s.
The set (now bolstered with Dark Angels and blood angels specific parts) features loads of bits to make both heavy and assault incinerator varients. The pipe work for the heavies is a nightmare to build, but split into two peices they are easy to paint.
You get a load of varieties of heads, covered and bare, and the standard space marine heads also work on scale, like my blood angel one.
They are noticabley bigger than the other marines, but smaller in stature than terminators. In short, they fit, against the army they look right.
I look forward to seeing other varients as they come out. The intercessors look cool, I'm not really a fan of the aggressors or inceptors, bit if newer bikers or land speeder varients come out I'd be interested for the ravenwing (although..theyd need to be let in on a few things right?)
![]() |
| Squad Daviel in all its plasma glory |
I've got shedloads of tactical marines. I mean, half a company. They're not all well painted but there's some real characters in there I've come to love.
That's why when the new primaris marines came out, I couldn't see much value in adding the Intercessor, bolt rifle armed varient to my 7th company. I love plasma weapons and in days gone by, (recently re-invested in by GW) Dark Angels were particularly fond of them too, so I went for helblasters.
This unit is horrible on the field. I bought them for looks and background but my first playtest had them decimate a Dreadnaught in a turn of shooting. They are equally happy slugging it out with short range heavily armoured elite troops, ormedium to long range with support troops like themselves. Those incinerators are multi damage, high ap weapons that you could even boost with a dark angels strategm.
I field most squads as combat squads and two squads of five of these guys was great. I'll have to see how they fare in future games.
With the above unit setup in mind, I always model and paint one marine as a squad leader. These guys have dropped out of codex mentions but used to fill the role of deputy dog to the sergeant. He leads one combat squad, the others got the Serg.
Here's mine for squad Daviel, named Castus. I like to add details. If he's not wearing a helmet, it should be maglocked to his thigh. He has a small icon to denote his rank, but not a full banner. I love the new sidearm so that gave some pose variation along with the plasma incinerator under his arm. The bionic eye suggests the indomitus crusade took its toll on one of the first Ultima founding marines to step onto Aldarukh.
![]() |
| Castus has his own heraldry too |
![]() |
| Daviel has an assault incinerator to fire on the move but will counts as heavies like the rest of his squad. |
![]() |
| Eat plasma deadheads |
I know that there's been alot of criticism of the primaris range from old school vets of the hobby. I think no one wants to see the "old" Astartes replaced in the range and that the universe revolves around stagnant, non progressive attitudes and that these guys represent the opposite of that.
Background wise they've kind of been magicked in, but with more and more back story being brought in, particularly on how the chapters react to their presence, I like them more and more. The new ranks, roles etc and how they are wrapped into the dark angels chapter were really interesting.
Model wise, they're the best thing that's come out of the range since Jes Goodwin's new tactical squad sprues in the late 90s.
The set (now bolstered with Dark Angels and blood angels specific parts) features loads of bits to make both heavy and assault incinerator varients. The pipe work for the heavies is a nightmare to build, but split into two peices they are easy to paint.
You get a load of varieties of heads, covered and bare, and the standard space marine heads also work on scale, like my blood angel one.
They are noticabley bigger than the other marines, but smaller in stature than terminators. In short, they fit, against the army they look right.
I look forward to seeing other varients as they come out. The intercessors look cool, I'm not really a fan of the aggressors or inceptors, bit if newer bikers or land speeder varients come out I'd be interested for the ravenwing (although..theyd need to be let in on a few things right?)




Comments
Post a Comment