Closing 2017
Seems fitting that I join the hordes of other people setting goals for 2018!
I have lots of personal goals which have until now meant my hobby has taken a back seat.
A career that used to be the reason I picked up a paintbrush to cope, has become a success and taken off for me, lots of challenges to come. My martial arts training and fitness has suffered, and I'm really keen to get to my first dan stripe on my black belt this year. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing if I can balance these things against painting models!
Hobby goals Josh, hobby.
Commission works
I'm currently working on Mortarion, and I'm hoping to get him finished for the end of January. Friend I'm painting him for is the same crazy man with all the titans I've previously painted, and he keeps threatening me with a Warlord. It would be crazy - but I'd love to be able to say I've painted one.
He's also got Tartaros terminators for me to paint, along with a heap of tactical marines, assault marines, quad launchers and other stuff. These are the projects that mean I get to try cool stuff out on someone elses models - someone who's paid for them not me.
I've had an offer to do the Blood Bowl boxset which would be interesting - already have a number of ideas on that one.
Personal Work
I've had a stupid notion I want to finally buy and paint a Thunderhawk for my Dark Angels - with the new Forge World kit just out, seems a good time. Green or bone though?
Finish Sammael MKII and Black Knights - perhaps add a command function (champion, apothecary and banner bearer) using the same conversion.
Buy and paint a Nephelim / Dark Talon kit
New army perhaps? Something not....gasp...marines? I've been playing and painting Dark Angels so long it seems wrong, but the idea appeals. I have a small growing force of Night Lords, but this is really more marines and primarily Horus Heresy era. No, I'm thinking guard, Death Korps more than likely. Watch this space.
Finish my blood bowl Middenheim Redfangs after ten years of painting them!
Golden Demon entry
The new format seems to have settled and there is some quality work going in now, and I'm starting to get thoughts about entering again. I have a duel entry I started ages ago, featuring the forge world wraith seer model and lilith hesperax, very acrobatic and action packed, that I'd love to finish. We will see.
In the meantime I'm also working on this beauty. The Naughty Gears, "Jessica Thunderhawk" bust by scale 75, bought for me by Darryl for my birthday this year (see his great, well named blog at https://containsgraphicimages.blogspot.co.uk/)
The mini was remarkably clean out of the pack with minimal prep needed - just some minor filling on join lines on the impressive falcon she comes with. I'll add these later as it progresses. I'd love to get this one finished in the coming months.
I have lots of personal goals which have until now meant my hobby has taken a back seat.
A career that used to be the reason I picked up a paintbrush to cope, has become a success and taken off for me, lots of challenges to come. My martial arts training and fitness has suffered, and I'm really keen to get to my first dan stripe on my black belt this year. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing if I can balance these things against painting models!
Hobby goals Josh, hobby.
Commission works
![]() |
| One of Mortarion's roadies - very fun to paint |
![]() |
| Cool stuff like this guy |
I've had an offer to do the Blood Bowl boxset which would be interesting - already have a number of ideas on that one.
Personal Work
I've had a stupid notion I want to finally buy and paint a Thunderhawk for my Dark Angels - with the new Forge World kit just out, seems a good time. Green or bone though?
Finish Sammael MKII and Black Knights - perhaps add a command function (champion, apothecary and banner bearer) using the same conversion.
Buy and paint a Nephelim / Dark Talon kit
New army perhaps? Something not....gasp...marines? I've been playing and painting Dark Angels so long it seems wrong, but the idea appeals. I have a small growing force of Night Lords, but this is really more marines and primarily Horus Heresy era. No, I'm thinking guard, Death Korps more than likely. Watch this space.
Finish my blood bowl Middenheim Redfangs after ten years of painting them!
Golden Demon entry
It's been a while - 5 years in fact, since I last entered Golden Demon. I got a finalists medal back in 2013 for my Games Day 40k special blood angel captain, which was a surprise for a mini I painted in 2 days! Loved it and hope that shone through. My Imperial Fists rhino (shown below) didnt finalise and neither did my Great Horned Rat - which I really poured some love into. This kind of demotivated me to the whole event, and with the traditional Games Day event going for a burton, I thought I was done with it.
![]() |
| 2012's Imperial Fists Deimos Rhino didn't hit the spot with the judges |
The new format seems to have settled and there is some quality work going in now, and I'm starting to get thoughts about entering again. I have a duel entry I started ages ago, featuring the forge world wraith seer model and lilith hesperax, very acrobatic and action packed, that I'd love to finish. We will see.
In the meantime I'm also working on this beauty. The Naughty Gears, "Jessica Thunderhawk" bust by scale 75, bought for me by Darryl for my birthday this year (see his great, well named blog at https://containsgraphicimages.blogspot.co.uk/)
![]() |
| Jessica Thunderhawk and her ample...painting areas |




Comments
Post a Comment