Work life balance / work/work balance
Well, finished my first ever comission peice. I must say, I was a little nervous (I don't mind you reading that, Gareth, if you are,) about the reaction I would get.
The original breif was for tabletop standard. I need, should I do more, to be able to define within my own level of skill where to "draw the line" - I ended up nudging into display quality for this one.
Even so there were a few glaring errors that I noticed post varnish, and took some shortcuts for the sake of my own sanity. All that aside, I was pretty happy with the end result, and my customer was very happy.
That makes me proud, and ups my confidence again, but I dont know if I really want to continue with comission work. It takes up alot of time, time I had models of my own to paint, Christmas, kickboxing and club nights, socialising and other stuff. I managed to fit it all in, in the end, but I just wasn't prepared for how much the feeling of obligation would stop me doing other things.
That dedication to the project is great, until it stops you doing something else you would really rather be doing. If you're anything like me, you'll know the worst time to paint is when you would rather be somewhere else.
I think I probably will complete more work, but I need to establish my limits and set a schedule each week for time spent, less I go insane and never paint my own models again.
Otherwise, busy painting my painting competition entry for tamworth games club, 20 clanrats for a tale of campaign, and looking at possibley starting a lord of the rings model of some sort to display standard.
The original breif was for tabletop standard. I need, should I do more, to be able to define within my own level of skill where to "draw the line" - I ended up nudging into display quality for this one.
Even so there were a few glaring errors that I noticed post varnish, and took some shortcuts for the sake of my own sanity. All that aside, I was pretty happy with the end result, and my customer was very happy.
That makes me proud, and ups my confidence again, but I dont know if I really want to continue with comission work. It takes up alot of time, time I had models of my own to paint, Christmas, kickboxing and club nights, socialising and other stuff. I managed to fit it all in, in the end, but I just wasn't prepared for how much the feeling of obligation would stop me doing other things.
That dedication to the project is great, until it stops you doing something else you would really rather be doing. If you're anything like me, you'll know the worst time to paint is when you would rather be somewhere else.
I think I probably will complete more work, but I need to establish my limits and set a schedule each week for time spent, less I go insane and never paint my own models again.
Otherwise, busy painting my painting competition entry for tamworth games club, 20 clanrats for a tale of campaign, and looking at possibley starting a lord of the rings model of some sort to display standard.
Comments
Post a Comment